Navigating The Back to School Blues
July 25, 2021
I am absolutely blown away about how quickly this year has come and gone. It is hard to believe that in less than a month, my kiddos are back in session from the summer.
My husband and I do not share the same feelings about the academic year. Sure, we are both excited for our kids to make new friends at a new school. However, this mama's heart has to wrestle with all of the various things coming "down the pipes" as far as education and curriculum.
I have attempted to take a more active stance. Ever since the summer before last school year, I got involved in the school board meetings. Even to the point of running in our district as a write-in candidate. I want to get more involved in the school system so I can better monitor what is being taught.
I've written before that God told me "no" when I begged for homeschooling last year. Looking back now, I see the reasons behind it. I still have a hearts tug here and there. I still wish that I could be at home with my kiddos...do my own thing while raising them. It just isn't the season for that. We will see if it ever will be.
I know there are many stances on education for our children. I did not want to write today to cause a debate or division. I want to share a couple of things that God has taught me to pray over my children. This has helped me tremendously in covering them as well as trusting God with the details of my kids' lives.
- The blood of Jesus - this is first and foremost the top prayer. I cover myself, my husband, my kids, our home, property, vehicles, the places were the adults work, the place where the kids go to school, our neighborhood, etc.
- Supernatural detox - this was given to me as I was praying over my son during bedtime routines. I was praying about all the things that were coming into his mind, eye and ear gates. I was distraught because I had heard something that he was exposed to. In my desperation, I prayed something like this, "Lord I pray a supernatural detox over Easton from the top of his head to the bottom of his feet. I pray that every breath that he exhales, he is releasing everything that is not good for him - it is flowing out of his body like a detox of his heart and mind. I pray that every breath that he inhales, he is taking in of Your kingdom. Upon every inhale, he is becoming cleansed of these spiritual toxins sent to come against him."
- Supernatural camouflage - I heard from a woman from my church small group that God have her this phrase. That the supernatural camouflage keeps us hidden from the enemy. We are not to be found in the presence of our enemies. We are completely out of sight and untraceable. I pray this over my children.
- Angels on assignment - I do this all the time. I have experienced some pretty awful things in life. I have also learned about such evil things that are happening to children every day. These two things combined have me quite protective of my children. I know that this is important. However, finding the balance of when to let go of the ropes a little bit has been difficult. In order to squelch the fear bandits, I will watch my children walk away (e.g. starting to go to the bathroom on their own at certain public places) and say, "Angels, go with them. Keep them safe and bring them back to me." I envision these gigantic Angels walking with them. How amazing is our Heavenly Father that He gives us our own personal security detail?! How much love of our Daddy! In my mind's eye I have seen my two Angels walking one on each side of me. When I walk through doors, one goes in front and one sticks their hand out as if to say, "after you." It made me stand up a little straighter and walk a little prouder. This sounds funny but we are more secured than a president, king, queen or celebrity. You think that those security guards are intense? ::psh::
- Holy Spirit - He may be toward the bottom of the list but He is not the least by any means. John 14:26 says, "But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you." John 15:26 says, "But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:" When we introduce our children to the precious Holy Spirit, we are rest assured that they will be learning the Truth. His job is to recall to mind what we have heard from God's word. In the right moment of time. We need to combat the lies that an education system may be teaching our children with God's principles. Teach them the Word of God. Give them practical examples of how scripture is playing out in their lives. Life lessons rooted in God's Word will stick with them.
- God's grace - don't get hung up on where you want to be in life. Me, for example, wishing to homeschool. God's grace is sufficient for you and your children. When back to school time comes faster than a speeding bullet, don't fear. God has your children where He wants them. I am emboldened to teach my children how to be a light for Jesus in the halls of their schools. Who will bring Jesus back into the school halls? Who will be a light and beacon of hope? I for one am proud to say that my children are helping usher in the next generation right where they are.
I could go on and on. Maybe a book someday? ::grin:: Let's talk in the comments. What are some prayers that you pray over your children? What has God shown you in order to equip your children for battle?
Love and blessings!